Tuesday, May 3, 2016

My third generation cloned tomato plant has a vine ripened tomato. I was on the way out to take a picture when I met He-Who-Mows bringing it in, afraid we'd miss it before it was overripe. Not a chance.





 There are more tomatoes.  Vines have reached the top of the greenhouse wall.


Mr. Bill Johnson's daughters came to visit last week and were amused that I learned well from Mr. Bill about rooting suckers. Tomato plants cost too dearly to just have one for a single season. Clones go on forever.

Kathy and Fay brought a huge bouquet of peonies, grown on plants from Mr. Bill's days in the fifties growing for the florist market. A flood of memories from my childhood came in the door with the fragrant blooms. I failed to make pictures of the peonies, now another memory.

8 comments:

  1. I am so amazed that you are still getting tomatoes from your cloned plants, and so early in the season (well, early for us, anyway). Glad to see a new post, hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing quite well considering my age. Thanks, Alison. I just put off blogging. Everything that bloomed had a twin from every past year.

      Delete
  2. Wish I had a greenhouse to grow as much as you do. Love to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had a greenhouse, too, Sallysmom. It was cheaper than you might expect. Harbor Freight greenhouses need a bit of 'engineering' to make sure they don't blow away in the next storm but it works very well for my purpose.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jean, i always love tomatoes, but haven't planted them again as i don't live in our house but in the big city. Even the smell of the leaves are so attractive to me, better than some other vegie's smell. Do you soak your cuttings in hormones before rooting them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomatoes already! How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A future post will no doubt, tell us how it tasted.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swell! I thought of you when I bought my tomato plants for this year. The gallon size was on sale for $1.99 and they had the varieties I wanted to try, some already with fruit set. Lots less work than starting so many from seed and potting up several times. This year, six plants will be much more realistic than the 30 that became a jungle last summer.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers