Friday, May 13, 2016

The Beverly Hillbillies' Yardman's Truck

The Beverly Hillbillies' Yardman's Truck is what I think of as I pile clippings on the Mule.


I didn't think to start pictures before I pruned away loads of wisteria vines to the point where I could find the boxwood underneath. I caught wisteria just as it caught onto low hanging pecan limbs.


North (front) side 

Wisteria grew out the top and gracefully hung to the ground, an awesome sight in bloom but I did not enjoy seeing it, knowing what was coming. The fragrance was incredible and I could not help enjoying it.

 South side next to the fence I pruned a sort of cave until I could stoop and walk under the boxwood. Not only were there wisteria vines, I kept finding fallen pecan branches in that mass of green.

If I had little boys around, I could have just left the underneath after I cut out the wisteria and they would have a wonderful 'clubhouse' in which to hide.

Lacking children to play underneath boxwood I just cut wisteria sprouts so the tractor's root rake could slide in there and lift up a ton of mess that I didn't have to pull out by hand.  We discussed whether or not to pull up the whole thing but it would mean trying to separate the boxwood and replant, or figuring out what to put in a hole the size of two bathtubs end to end.

I'm left with wisteria sprouts to keep clipped for the rest of my life but they will be better contained. The original half dozen box, planted much too closely in a tight row had spread 5 feet in each direction forward and back. There are new boxwood on the west end more than 4 feet tall, limbs that lay on the ground and sprouted roots.

Method used here to renovate box is to cut one side leaving a facade on the other. Leaving the front half hides the uglies with enough greenery left to sustain ancient plants. They look like trees on the back side, tall enough for the mower to take care of sprouts in a 3-foot swath.

I'll be snipping and pruning for weeks, training growth as the front facade grows denser.


Next the boxwood are Oakleaf Hydrangeas that have engulfed another boxwood. that I kept pruned into a column shape. It isn't as though I have just a handful of boxwood; in the upper garden are all sizes of box where I stuck cuttings and some 'took' and some grew for years into other monsters or places for monsters to hide. Box is not static. It is always growing except for a very few weeks in the dead of winter.

This morning I took time to prune low hanging tree branches that tend to snatch the hat off the head of He-Who-Mows as he tries to go under them, two more Beverly Hills yardman loads of green to haul off.

5 comments:

  1. Your soil must be very good. Mine is wretched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of work! You just confirmed my worst fears about wistera's tendency to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awful when certain plants have a mind of their own and just take over parts of our gardens. They grow with wild abandon. Living down here where gardening is a 365 day event, I have several things like that.

    You two do a great job of taking care of your place.

    Have a nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've killed a few wisteria with little trouble. While they will climb anything in sight if given the opportunity, I think that they're easier to control in our climate. I can see why you're not fond of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect I might have to quit gardening if I lived in the south! Things grow so rapidly and you don't have real winters to keep them under control.

    You and Lorraine have my deepest admiration!

    I don't think The Mule could every qualify as a Beverly Hillbilly's anything; much too classy. Do you wonder how you ever got along without it. My Sis does.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers