Monday, July 18, 2016

Versatile Strobilanthes

Persian Shield is one of my favorites. 

Growing in shade under a Magnolia.
 
Strobilanthes dyeranus is a mouthful, the name Strobilanthes comes from the Greek for cone flower. Its flowers are never seen in the summer garden where Persian Shield is used as a bedding plant.



 These plants are root-hardy in zone 8b. I tucked some new azalea plants into the bed with Persian Shield whose companions did not return.


Companions with Pink Pentas and Brugmansia. 
All plants shown are second year plants from roots.

These plants need no flowers to get noticed. The blue cone shaped
flowers are seen when days are short, usually in the greenhouse. 

Cuttings are fairly easy to root from a single house plant if you want 
a large bed,  or dot them around as accent plants.

I tucked a plant in the rear of a Bromeliad Tree.

Left to grow unpinched, it climbed the tree. 


I thought of Persian Shield when I read the latest issue of Green Profit. Kylee Baumle featured Strobilanthes in her article.
Kylee featured Persian Shield in a cream separator display.

3 comments:

  1. Your Persian Shield is lovely, I love the colors.

    It's good to see a post from you. I always enjoy your southern gardens.

    Have a good week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you root some through the winter for next spring? I don't have a greenhouse to keep them in but do have a plant stand in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of you now whenever I see this plant. It's a beautiful thing and seems happy wherever you put it. Who could ask for anything more in a plant? Happy week!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers