Tuesday, August 16, 2016

August Foliage Follow Up

We are waiting for late summer blooms as Tithonia and Duranta start to put on blooms for summer butterflies in the background of this next picture.

Cannas that bloomed through July and into August are now resting but the chartreuse foliage is attractive  when leaves are backlit by the sun.

Cycads are among my favorite garden structures with their stiff fronds. 

 Variegated Hydrangea Mariesii had a hard time this year with my self-imposed watering ban. Fortunately we had enough rain to bring them through the dry times.

The purples of summer: Persian Shield above and Purple Heart below.

If you look closely, you can see a String Lily Crinum bud.
I had forgotten moving that Crinum last year.
I am very fond of Purple Heart. It returns from winter death.
It roots easily. In the ground it spreads; in a pot it grows downward.

Another plant that returned from Winter Death.
I am waiting for this cane begonia to decide whether to bloom.

7 comments:

  1. Your picture seem very tropical to me here in the Ozarks.

    Why the watering limit? You are on a well aren't you; I know watering is a pain unless you have in-ground sprinkler which I do not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every other post I read features a spectacular Canna! I'm afraid I'm going to have to cave and bring one home next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hydrangea! I looked everywhere online this summer and everyone was out of them. I want one so bad. I guess next spring I need to look again. Maybe I will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At a busy intersection yesterday noticed a lovely commercial annual installation. Pockets of huge gorgeous elephant ear. Don't know the cultivar, but the leaf margins had a perfect WAVE. Stunning. And it was commercial ??? Love that surprise.

    XOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how many tropical plants you have growing there in your GA gardens.

    It is too hot and humid for me to do very much outside right now, so I'm hibernating. I think August is the worst month for summer.

    I want to thank you for your kind and encouraging comment on my latest post. That meant a lot to me.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants are looking so vibrant and beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still waiting for my Pretoria cannas to bloom after a late start and cool wet spring. :-(. Never failed me yet.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers