Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Hyacinths: It Isn't too Early to Plan for Indoor Bloom

It isn't too early to think about forcing bulbs for winter bloom. Bulbs are not out in the garden center but you can order off.

These are from last February.  I saved the bulbs to see how they would fare in a second year if allowed to ripen in the pot. I kept them watered. When the foliage turned yellow I shook off the soil and put them in the Mule barn on wire trays.

I always get bulbs too late to have hyacinths at Christmas. If I put these in the refrigerator as soon as I take out pears that I am chilling, another of my projects, they'll have 14 weeks to chill and then a month to grow when I pot them up. My preference is to chill them in a paper bag and then plant in soil and keep them in a cool place.

You might find it easier to force them in hyacinth vases, or stones and water in a container which is what I used to do.
I like hyacinths in pots. You get the same blooms.  Those in pots fare best for replanting. I like the look of clay pots with exposed bulbs and a little moss.


Hyacinths are not the only winter bulbs to consider. There's Hippeastrum, hard to get bloom for Christmas with my existing bulbs, easy with new bulbs, and Paperwhite Narcissus. Neither of these require any chill. I am trying not to think of Tulips. I didn't dig some daffodils that wanted moving.



Bulbs for planting outdoors for Spring bloom should be on order now or we can wait until the last minute and buy what's left, on sale, to plant near Thanksgiving here. Your schedule may vary.


Every year gets different color combos and there's that little bag of 7 or 8 assorted color bulbs that always jumps into my cart when the bags of bulbs are out in the big box store to pot up in single pots.

Nice to contemplate fall and winter plans when the weather is hot. We had a half inch of rain today. It turned quickly to steam when the sun came out again.

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be thinking of all of those lovely winter blooming bulbs.

    Rain keeps going all around us and we've had 'very little'.

    Keep cool ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed how you did it by chilling last year. I enjoyed seeing them grow so much and especially loved the scent. I am going to do it again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder, Jean. I always kick myself after-the-fact for missing out on bulb blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is a great idea. I wonder if these would make a pretty display in my bay window come fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful blooms; I love that darker blue one. I have never tried this.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because of your influence, I had several pots of hyacinths in bloom last winter. Because of our climate, I'm able to simply leave the pots outside for their chill and bring them into the greenhouse a few weeks before I want blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an impressive collection of hyacinths. I would love to have more but the refrigerator thing is a little too much for me. However, I do love them and maybe will try again this year. I have some paperwhites in the ground.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers